Welcome to Traditional Aikido in Salt Lake City!
At Salt Lake Aikikai, we practice traditional Aikido. Our emphasis is on fun, while assimilating sound martial principles. We are directly affiliated with the Aikikai “Hombu Dojo” in Tokyo, headquarters of the original Aikido organization. Everyone is welcome: beginners and visitors alike. Our training is safe for all ages (14 and up) and all levels of athletic ability.
New to Aikido? Here’s what to expect:
- Classes start at 7 p.m. sharp (3:30 p.m. on Saturday, 3:00 p.m. on most Sundays), but we typically arrive as early as 6:40 p.m. to set up (3:10 p.m. on Saturday, 2:40 p.m.).
- Practices begin with a 20 min. warm-up focused on specific Aikido needs. For example, we train in ukemi (falls).
- You do not need a ‘gi’ (white uniform) to start but we recommend you get one as soon as you know Aikido is something you want to pursue. The black pants (hakama) are not required in our dojo until you reach the rank of 2nd kyu. (See the FAQ for more on rank advancement.)
- All skill levels train together and beginners are as important to train with as more experienced practitioners. Everyone — whatever her/his experience — adjusts to work with the partner. This is part of the training of harmony (the “ai” of Aikido).
- We train both empty-handed and with weapons (jo staff, sword, and knife — all of wood). Each class, we will practice many different Aikido techniques — with safety as the top priority (each person is responsible for respecting his or her own limits). We also learn balance and how to focus our energy or “ki” (each one tries her/his best).
- We do observe dojo etiquette (based on traditions that originated in Japan) as a way to show respect for the dojo.
- In the end, paying attention, listening, and observing are the best ways to grow in Aikido. It is a solid and slow growth process (“do”).
Tuesday, 7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
Friday, 7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
Saturday, 3:30 – 5:00 p.m.
One-time drop-in fee
Six-month discounted rate
Family monthly rate
$189 (10% discount)
$35 + $5 for each add. family member